I was at the gym this morning, putting on my shoes as a group of women from the seniors swim class walked in. They were all in their late 60s, 70s or more, wearing one-piece swimsuits and dripping water from their permed ringlets. One of the women was celebrating her 59th wedding anniversary this week. She was obviously the queen bee as most of the other women were either approaching or had just celebrated 50 years of marriage.
They talked about party plans, who would be coming into town, what an accomplishement 59 years was, the good years, the bad years and then the best years.
I summoned up my courage to butt into their conversation to ask how you make it to 50 years of marriage. They got very silent. Then one woman in a pink flowered bathing suit looked at me and said:
"You just keep going. When it gets tough - and it will - you keep persevering. You never give up. There will be hard seasons in your marriage and you'll want to give up, but those years will make the next years even better. The honeymoon wears off, but the honeymoon wasn't really the good part. The good part comes after the hard years. The last years of my marriage have been magical - and they've made all the hard years worth it."
2 comments:
Amen. After just 6 years of marriage I have seen this to be true, so can only imagine what it will be like after 50 years.
I was just mentioning to my cousin the other day that my marriage now is so much better than it was when I first got married, 4 years ago! All the hard times are worth what will be waiting at the end! My husband is my best friend and I love him so much! We were together 7 years before we got married.
Post a Comment