Wednesday, October 12, 2005

From Jana...

I sincerely apologize and ask your forgiveness for my lack of communication. I could offer all kinds of excuses about not having time, or not having internet on my computer with all your adresses, but really it's only one thing: this last letter to you, who have been with me from the beginning and up and down in between, represents yet one more closure to my life in Senegal.


Kari and Jana in Senegal

And true to form, I have been resisting that with everything in me. However, here I am: Texas! I have joined the growing ranks of ex-journeymen, confused and cold and stuck in 2 worlds. No doubt in my mind, the coming back is harder than the going. Not that I don't love america, it's just that the sense of loss is so acute. I know I left so much of myself in Senegal. I told myself that I was just not going to write this email, because I didn't know how to explain it. So I just won't try.

When I got back, I noticed 3 things: America is cold (inside), green, and clean. And I remarked on that, over and over and over again! And I guess I'm not as unique as I hoped, because I make the same mistakes everyone does. (ex: I forgot, completely, that a frappucino was cold. I was so upset! I think I cried there in the mall. If you've been there before, you understand.) I stood in the produce section of the grocery store, surrounded by so much, and started crying because I missed my vegetable lady on the side of the street. You noticing a pattern here? Yes, I've been crying alot!

It's been very overwhelming. and Life doesn't give you much time to catch up. I firmly believe (and I think Patrick and my family agree) that I should have been quarantined for at least 1 month, even though I had no noticeable communicable diseases.

Be all that as it may, here I am. I've traded the smell of dust, burning trash, fish, and tea for grilling hamburgers, mowing lawns, and coffee shops. The sounds of kids yelling, drums, goats and the ocean for English radio, roaring of football games, and the voices of my loved ones.

There have been times I would have given anything to go back (temporarily): the funeral of a friend, and the baby naming ceremony of Daouda's (my best friend, the nurse) new baby girl. He named her Roxaya Jana. She's truly my namesake.

But the times I've had here are gifts from God: at the beach with my family; ben and jerry's with my fave future new little brother, women's retreat with my future mother-in-law, celebrating my niece's first birthday with my mom and sisters. Kennedy, by the way, does true justice to her female Rosenburgh blood: absurdly intelligent, incredibly strong will and opinionated, and, of course, breathtakingly beautiful! :-). And most of all, time with Patrick, learning all over again what a gift from God he is.

For those of you who knew I'd gotten back, thank you for your prayers. I've needed them now more than ever. Sut since it isn't about me, please continue to pray for the Lebou, the Senegalese, and the world, that one day all will bow and confess Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Goodbye,
Jana (Roxaya)

No comments: